QuickBooks Error Code 6190 occurs when the user attempts to access a company’s file but one of the internal parts of the file is damaged. QuickBooks can’t access the company’s files. This error can also be caused by incorrect configuration settings on the computer. This error can be accompanied by a pop up message.
QuickBooks encountered a problem that requires it to be closed. We regret the inconvenience.
Main Reasons behind QuickBooks Error 6190 & 816
It is possible to avoid errors from repeating themselves by having a good understanding of why they occur. Although there are many reasons an error could occur, let’s take a look at some of the possible causes of the QuickBooks error code 6190.
- When the QuickBooks filename length exceeds 65 characters
- If the QuickBooks Network Data (.ND), or Transaction Log File (.TLG), file becomes corrupted or damaged, this can lead to error 61.
- An error can also occur due to connectivity or network problems.
- If the computer’s window is suddenly closed.
- If the QuickBooks file isn’t found in its original location.
- The user closes his/her PC’s windows, while QuickBooks processes a pending request.
- A QuickBooks error can also occur due to an incomplete download.
- If your windows registry is corrupted.
- In the background, antivirus software might block QuickBooks from accessing company files.
Signs of QuickBooks Error 6190 & 816
Let’s take a look at the symptoms and how to easily identify the QuickBooks error 6190 816.
- If a popup window appears on the screen of your computer showing the error code 6190.
- The system’s window crashes often.
- The PC’s operating systems are slow.
- When the system doesn’t respond to your keyboard and mouse commands.
- Unable to launch the QuickBooks desktop app.
- The screen of your PC is being displayed simultaneously.
You may also read — QuickBooks migration failed unexpectedly
How To Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6190 or 816?
Now that you have all the information needed to fix the QuickBooks error code 6190 816 , let’s take a look at some of the tried solutions.
Solution 1. Rename the Transaction Log and Network Data Files
This solution is recommended at the top as the QuickBooks error code 6190 mostly occurs due to an issue with Network data (.ND), or TLG file. These files are essential components for allowing users to access company file via the internet. The QuickBooks error code 6190 can occur if any of these files become corrupted or damaged.
If this happens, you can rename the files to resolve the issue. Here are the steps that you can use to rename the ND files and the TLG files.
- Navigate to the location that the QuickBooks company’s files are located on your computer.
- Next, right-click on network data file ending in “.ND”, and click on its name.
- Next, click the “Rename” option.
- You can now add “.old”, at the end, to make the file’s name new. It will then end with “.ndold.”
- Then, go back to the Transaction Log file (TLG) and repeat the process. Rename the file from “.tlg” to “.tlg.old”.
You can now verify that this helped you fix the QuickBooks error 6190 816 after you have renamed your ND and TLG file. If the error persists, you can try the following solution.
Solution 2. Change your company file name
You may have given a name to QuickBooks that is longer than 65 characters. This could be the reason for the QuickBooks error code 6190. This situation can be resolved by reducing the file’s name to 65 characters.
Let’s examine the steps you can take to rename the company file.
- To start the windows file Explorer, press the “Windows + E” keys simultaneously.
- Next, navigate to where the QuickBooks company’s file has been saved. (C:UsersPublicPublic DocumentsIntuit QuickBooks Companyfiles)
- Then, search for QuickBooks company’s file ending in “.QBW” then right-click on it.
- Move on to the “Rename” button. Give the file a name change and make sure it’s less than 65 characters in length.
- Click on “Save” to save all changes made recently.
Move on to QuickBooks after completing the above steps and then try again to access the file. Jump to the next solution if the error persists.
Solution 3. QuickBooks allows you to grant the necessary user permissions
QuickBooks Error 6190 or 816 may occur if the user doesn’t have sufficient permissions. Below are the steps that you can take to finish the process.
- First, open the QuickBooks desktop program.
- Click on the “Company tab” option on the QuickBooks desktop.
- After you have completed the above steps, click on “Set Up Users & Roles”.
- Move on to the next step. First, enter a password that will allow you access to the data file. Next, click the list and select the username option.
- You can change the settings according to your requirements.
After you’ve completed these steps, check to see if the method helped eliminate QuickBooks error 6190 816.
Solution 4. Move Company File to a new folder
You can also transfer the file of the QuickBooks company to the original folder. This will resolve the QuickBooks error codes 816 and 6190. Here are the steps to help you accomplish this task.
- Click the F2 key to open the QuickBooks product information window.
- Next, open a notepad and note the location where QuickBooks company’s file is stored.
- Click on the “QBW” file to continue.
- Then, copy the QuickBooks company file and press the “Ctrl+C” keys together. Finally, paste the file into the QuickBooks folder by using the “Ctrl+V” keys.
Now open QuickBooks Desktop and try to access your company’s file. You can now fix the QuickBooks error 6190 816 by following the steps above.
Solution 5. Use File Doctor to resolve network problem
This section is meant to repair company file as well as re-aligned the networks, So follow the steps to fix error.
- Right Click on Tool hub icon and select Run as a Administrator.
- After that, Choose the Company File Problem Option from Home screen of Tool hub.
- Next, You can choose the Run File Doctor option(File Doctor may take a while in opening).
- Next, Select For the Repair Networking and Company File issue.
- Wait for a short while and restart the workstation and check whether the error is fixed or not.
Solution 6. Intuit Quick Fix my Program
- In order to use Quick Fix my program, You need to access Tool hub program.
- Once the QuickBooks Tool hub program opened then you need to choose QB Program problem option.
- In QuickBooks program problem option, You can see a option as a Run Quick Fix My program.
- Click on Run Quick Fix my program and wait till the program repair process not complete.
- In the End, Restart the workstation and re-open QuickBooks and Check is your QuickBooks now working fine or not.
Solution 6. Move your company File to Local
If your Company File is located in the server location and you are receiving Error code 6190 816 in QuickBooks while opening the company file and Thus we recommend to copy your company file to local system and then switch your QuickBooks into single user mode and after that try to open the same company file.
Today’s blog is over. This blog post contains four proven and tested solutions that you can use to fix the error. The steps listed above can be followed to resolve the problem. You can reach us through the Chat Box if you experience any difficulties while performing the solutions. Our QuickBooks experts are available for assistance 24 hours a days. To read more related article you can visit StridePost