Are you looking for a solution to Convert an EDB file to a PST file or Export EDB to PST? Not to worry, the article discusses multiple solutions, three of which are manual methods and one of which is a third-party direct EDB to PST Converter that can directly and successfully batches convert EDB to Outlook with emails, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, and other data without losing any data.
Individuals and professionals throughout the world utilize Exchange Server as one of their emailing servers. All related Exchange mailbox elements such as emails, calendar, contacts, tasks, and so on are stored in the EDB file. Furthermore, EDB is entirely reliant on Exchange Server. To put it another way, having an Exchange setup on the server is required to access the EDB mailbox folder. As a result, if a user wants to read data from an EDB mailbox without using Exchange, the EDB file must be converted to a PST file. And the majority of users are working to find a solution. As a result, we’ve covered a variety of methods for resolving the problem of “how to convert EDB to PST?” in this segment. But first, tell us more about why this conversion is taking place.
Why would you want to Convert an EDB File to a PST File?
When a user wishes to open an EDB file in Outlook, there are a variety of reasons. The following are a few of them:
- It is necessary to access EDB files without the need for a server.
- When the Exchange Server is down for maintenance.
- Improve the EDB file’s usefulness in a non-internet context.
- The Exchange Server has become corrupt, and you need to recover the EDB database.
- Change to an organization that uses Microsoft Outlook rather than Exchange Server.
How can I Convert an EDB File to a PST File?
In the preceding part, we addressed the reasons why it is necessary to access EDB files in Outlook. Let’s concentrate on how to convert EDB to PST right now. There are several methods that can be used to open an EDB file in Outlook 2019 and older versions:
- ExMerge Utility is a program that allows you to merge two files into one.
- EMS stands for Emergency Medical Services (Exchange Management Shell)
- Using the EAC (Exchange Admin Center)
Method 1: Using ExMerge Utility Convert EDB to PST.
Microsoft’s ExMerge is a free-to-use software. It allows you to convert Exchange EDB files and open them in Microsoft Outlook. Multiple EDB mailboxes can be moved with this tool. It prevents duplication and provides backup at the brick level. Follow these steps to learn how to convert an EDB file to a PST file:
- ExMerge is a system utility that you can use to merge files. To continue, press the Next button.
- Select Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure) from the Procedure Selection Window and click Next.
- Select Extract data from an Exchange Server Mailbox from the Two-Step Procedure window and hit Next once more.
- Provide the credentials for the Exchange Server from which the data will be extracted. Continue by clicking Next. You may also use the Options button to customize the message selection criteria.
- Navigate to the Import Procedure tab from the Data Selection Criteria Window. Select Archive data to the target store from the drop-down menu and click OK.
- Choose the desired mailboxes to export in the Mailbox Selection dialogue box. Select All/Deselect All is now available for quick choosing. To continue, click Next.
- Set the destination path in the Target Directory dialogue box. To change the default folder destination path, select Change Folder. To begin the export process, click Next.
- The utility has now displayed the export progress. After you’ve finished, click Finish to complete the process.
The data from the EDB file has now been transferred to the PST file. The procedure can be implemented, but it comes with several drawbacks that will be explained in the following section.
ExMerge Utility’s Drawbacks
The ExMerge can convert and open EDB files in Outlook, however it comes with significant risks and disadvantages:
- ExMerge takes a long time to export.
- It’s a long and complicated procedure.
- There is a high danger of data loss.
- More than 2GB of data cannot send.
- It is simple to use with older Exchange versions.
Method 2: Use Exchange Management Shell to Convert EDB to PST.
EMS stands for Exchange Management System. The shell includes a command-line interface that may be used to access Exchange databases, check their status, and make changes. To open the EDB file in Outlook using EMS, follow the instructions below:
- Run the command below to get access to the database’s mailbox list:
- To open the EDB file in Outlook, type the following command:
- To check the status of a mailbox export request, run the command below:
- Once the export process is complete, use the command below to cancel the export request:
These commands are used to export data from a single EDB mailbox. You can do the same thing with other mailboxes.
Method 3: Use Exchange Admin Center to Export EDB to PST.
If you’re looking for a quick way to export/open an EDB file in Outlook, follow the steps in this manual method:
- As an administrator, log in to EAC (Exchange Admin Center). Go to the Permissions tab and select the Admin Roles option.
- Under Admin Roles, select the Recipient Management option.
- A Role Group window will appear; click the (+) addition icon under the Roles option to open it.
- Now, in the Select a Role window, select Mailbox Import Export role from the Display Name drop-down menu and press the Add button. Click OK when you’re done.
- Under Recipient Management, Mailbox Import Export is successfully added to the list.
- In the group, add the mailboxes you want to export to PST.
- To migrate recipients and wanted mailboxes to PST, go to the Exchange admin center and choose recipients and chosen mailboxes. Select Export to a PST file from the more (…) menu.
- To proceed, select the desired path to save the resulting file and press Next.
- The content will successfully migrate from EDB to PST in only a few minutes.
The blog has covered a variety of approaches for resolving the problem of “how to convert EDB to PST” or “how to export EDB to PST.” All three strategies listed above are tests. There’s no reason to be concerned!